Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Getting Off My Soap Box

Breathe- no seriously I had to get things off my back in my prior post.  I guess it's the pent up feelings in regards to what is going on in Ferguson, Missouri.  It so stirs up memories of the Rodney King story.  How many of you remember that occurrence?

I do, I was still in elementary school and it was all over the place.  I recall remembering it was about a beating of some sort.  Namely, the police struck out at Rodney for minor reasons.  Ouch, that put a damper on those who believe in equal protection as I mentioned is in the Constitution as an amendment.

But again, the purpose of this blog entry is not to condemn or get on my "soap box."  I just wanted to voice my reaction.  I wanted to let you know what it reminded me of- that's all.  No preaching or anything of the sort.  Since we all know what is right in our lives- at least I hope so :)

Back when I was kid, I already knew it was wrong to beat the crap out of someone.  My peers and I come from a different upbringing.  I think a lot of individuals from the younger generations do.  We don't hate because of just race.  We are taught at an early age to not foster hate for that reason alone.

Maybe it's all the television shows we saw and the music we listened to on our cassettes, and then CDs.  The pop culture definitely had a role in shaping our views on race.  I remember the songs "Rhythm Nation" and "Black or White" that were the force behind molding the younger generations to accept each other.

I also remember reading Matthew 22:36-40 that states to love your neighbor as yourself as the second commandment.  Jesus definitely got a lot of things right in this regard, even in his own time when things were in some ways worse.  And this principle most certainly applies to us in this modern day.

No comments:

Post a Comment