Tuesday, August 12, 2014

On the Suicide of Robin Williams



My first reaction to his passing was well- doubt.  And no doubt, I thought about the countless times I watched Mrs. Doubtfire.

     He made us laugh and feel glad to be alive.  I only wish he had felt glad to be alive also.  I miss him-  I genuinely do because he was a rarity.  He rarely made us not laugh and that is what makes him remarkable. He gave his time, talent, and lighthearted humor to us all through numerous movies and shows.

         One movie in which he inspired Generation X and countless others is Dead Poets Society.  Robin Williams took on the character, John Keating, who was a teacher at a private prep school for boys.  I learned a lot from that movie.  Some favorite quotes of mine come from Williams' character.

        "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."

        "But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you.  Go on, lean in.  Listen, you hear it?--Carpe--hear it?--Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary."

     Further, I love the following punch line that is one of the movie's themes.

     ..."And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.  But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for..."

      I only wished that Robin Williams had continued to live to enjoy more of what life has to offer.  And that is "poetry, beauty, romance, love..."

No comments:

Post a Comment